Thank you for your interest in the Ministry Assistant position at First Baptist Mason. This is a part-time (24-26 hr per week) position with competitive compensation. This job will entail basic office management operations as well as financial/book keeping work. Basic understanding of office operations and accounting procedures, including computer software such as Adobe, Quickbooks, and Cloud based computing services.
About the Ministry Assistant
General Job Description (24-26 hrs weekly)
This individual is responsible for providing administrative and ministry-related support to the staff of First Baptist Church Mason. These duties include but are not limited to: systems development and maintenance, database maintenance, office supply purchasing, typing, filing, reception and telephone duties, and facilities scheduling. They will also include recording weekly contributions and receipts, paying vendors, processing payroll and taxes, maintaining accounts and bank statements, preparing a weekly giving summary, preparing monthly financial reports for council and ministry chairpersons, preparing 1099’s and W-2 statements at year-end, preparing quarterly payroll reports, and participate in a yearly church audit. This position will also be free to minister to church and community members as needed.
First Baptist Mason is looking for a person who...
● loves Jesus and His mission
● is experienced
● is organized
● is friendly
● is familiar with how a church functions
● is competent on both Mac and PC computers
● Knowledgable with Quickbooks accounting software
● planning and organizing
● problem assessment and problem solving
● information gathering and information monitoring
● attention to detail and accuracy
● service orientation
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Keep the church office and staff organized and moving forward
● Create a warm and welcoming environment in the church office by assuming receptionist duties,
greet public and refer them to appropriate staff members, answer phone, route calls, and take messages
● Assist staff with administrative duties as requested
● Cooperate in the maintenance and/or modification of church administration systems
● Assist with completion of necessary statistical reports as requested
● Develop and maintain church inventory systems
● Maintain front desk and workroom areas, keeping it clean and free from clutter
● Type and word process documents as needed
● Order office supplies and monitor inventory
● Update and maintain mailing lists
● Maintain appropriate interpersonal relationships with employees, peers, and consumers
● Facilitate special event registration and execution
● Assist with various program operations as requested as responsibilities permit
● Assist the Ministerial Staff by helping communicate and resource the volunteers
● Manage front office volunteers (if applicable)
● Keep all sensitive information confidential including personal conversations, database
● Be proactive with keeping the ministry organized, on track, and planning ahead
● Work with the designated operations person to create checklists for routine events and maintain it
for the ministry
● Properly Account for Member Giving
● Obtain and record pledges made during the annual stewardship drive and capital campaigns
● Prepare quarterly giving statements.
● Enter weekly contributions to general fund, building fund, special funds, and donor designated
● Pay Vendors and Process Monthly Payroll
● Enter all invoices approved by the Finance Team for payment, cut checks, submit to Finance
members for signature, and prepare for mailing.
● Process payroll according to congregation’s payroll schedule, pay payroll taxes, file quarterly
payroll tax reports and prepare W-2’s as required.
● Balance checking accounts and investment accounts and submit reconciliation to treasurer for
● Submit to the church treasurer and church council a listing of all checks written during the month.
● Prepare Financial Reports
● Prepare a weekly giving summary.
● Assist in the preparation of the monthly reports for the finance committee.
● Assist in the preparation of year-end financial reports and development of annual budget for annual meeting.
● Develop cash flow projections based on pledges, and maintain adequate cash flow.
● Prepare and file required 1099’s at year-end.
● Stay current on changes to the Tax code concerning non-profit religious institutions.
● Other duties as assigned
● Demonstrated written and oral communication skills
● Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team
● Minimum two years clerical or administrative experience
● Typing skills with at least 40 WPM
● Knowledge of general office machines and telephone system
● Ability and willingness to work cooperatively with others
● Proficiency with Quickbooks accounting software
● High degree of discretion and integrity dealing with confidential information
● Consistent Attendance required
● Need to be able to lift up to 25 lbs, carry small boxes and climb a 4' ladder.
● Proficiency with computers and church-related software
● Experience with Adobe products, mainly Illustrator and Photoshop
● Experience creating and maintaining administrative and organizational systems
● Experience working for a non-profit organization
● Experience preparing print material and web-based content